Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseJarret - an artistic portrait

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Jarret - an artistic portrait

Post by Duck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:09 am

This past Friday I had the pleasure of photographing a couple of comedians who were performing at a local comedy club. We spent about two hours and took lots of photos for their social media and YouTube channel use. I took the liberty of playing with one of the images to creative an artistic portrait using a monochromatic palette and some brush and texture overlays. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Enjoy

Unitas_Photography-Jarret01.jpg
Jarret
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am

Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:09 am
This past Friday I had the pleasure of photographing a couple of comedians who were performing at a local comedy club. We spent about two hours and took lots of photos for their social media and YouTube channel use. I took the liberty of playing with one of the images to creative an artistic portrait using a monochromatic palette and some brush and texture overlays. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Enjoy

Unitas_Photography-Jarret01.jpg
Really nicely done Duck. I’m always interested in any info on the “ how” since I like artistic processing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:35 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am
Really nicely done Duck. I’m always interested in any info on the “ how” since I like artistic processing.

Thanks Minnie, I'm glad to hear you like this one.

This image is a combination of posterization and watercolor brushes. I isolated the subject from my background and used a watercolor brush to make a new mottled background. I then modified it with cutout filter in the filter gallery. I then applied a gradient over the background set to multiply to darken the left side.

For the subject, I made three copies. I applied a posterize and a threshold adjustment layer to the middle copy to give it that simplified look. I then compressed the adjustment layers with the middle subject layer and changed the blending mode to soft light. You may need to play with all these settings based on the type of image you are working with.

I then changed the topmost subject copy to the color blend mode. Not that this step mattered as I ended up giving the overall image a monochromatic color with a color gradient. The gradient map adjustment layer was applied over the top of everything and its mode changed to color mode. I then added a levels adjustment layer to balance things out a bit. This is where I felt the image needed something else. I brought out a couple of my watercolor brushes and added some shadow texture around my subject, blending the back of the head in with the background layer a little more. I also added some texture over the top of the back of the head and shirt.

I also have a few brushes that have a hatching effect and used that on its own layer over the top of everything. I changed the blend mode to soft light and reduced the opacity by 50%. Just enough to add texture but not make it overwhelming. While it did add some needed texture I decided to push it a bit more. I got out a rusted metal texture from my library, desaturated it and overlaid it with an overlay mode. This added to the watercolor effect but didn't add too much of a punch. I then replicated the layer, changed it to pinlight blend mode, rotated and placed it where I thought it might add some needed texture and used a layer mask to control where the texture shows. I ended up using two separate layers (one left and one right of subject) to give the image the final look you see here.

I'm including a screenshot of my PS screen with all layers shown. I hope this helps. :D

Jarret PS layers.jpg
PS BTS

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 am

I'm sure he would enjoy this one....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks for the explanation. I knew it was complex. That’s not a one click look! Very nicely conceived and executed.
Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:35 pm
minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks Minnie, I'm glad to hear you like this one.

This image is a combination of posterization and watercolor brushes. I isolated the subject from my background and used a watercolor brush to make a new mottled background. I then modified it with cutout filter in the filter gallery. I then applied a gradient over the background set to multiply to darken the left side.

For the subject, I made three copies. I applied a posterize and a threshold adjustment layer to the middle copy to give it that simplified look. I then compressed the adjustment layers with the middle subject layer and changed the blending mode to soft light. You may need to play with all these settings based on the type of image you are working with.

I then changed the topmost subject copy to the color blend mode. Not that this step mattered as I ended up giving the overall image a monochromatic color with a color gradient. The gradient map adjustment layer was applied over the top of everything and its mode changed to color mode. I then added a levels adjustment layer to balance things out a bit. This is where I felt the image needed something else. I brought out a couple of my watercolor brushes and added some shadow texture around my subject, blending the back of the head in with the background layer a little more. I also added some texture over the top of the back of the head and shirt.

I also have a few brushes that have a hatching effect and used that on its own layer over the top of everything. I changed the blend mode to soft light and reduced the opacity by 50%. Just enough to add texture but not make it overwhelming. While it did add some needed texture I decided to push it a bit more. I got out a rusted metal texture from my library, desaturated it and overlaid it with an overlay mode. This added to the watercolor effect but didn't add too much of a punch. I then replicated the layer, changed it to pinlight blend mode, rotated and placed it where I thought it might add some needed texture and used a layer mask to control where the texture shows. I ended up using two separate layers (one left and one right of subject) to give the image the final look you see here.

I'm including a screenshot of my PS screen with all layers shown. I hope this helps. :D

Jarret PS layers.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 am

Here is another render. This one can be used as a promo poster. The original is posted below.

Unitas_Photography-5661.jpg
Poster
Unitas_Photography-5661-2.jpg
Original
Unitas_Photography-5661-2.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 265 times