Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression Showcasedecks have straight lines

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: decks have straight lines

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:31 pm

thanks Min, here is another cut heading into a less warm version. I attempted to increase the depth, but don't know that this one is any better.. probably a case of leaving well-enough alone..
lifeS2.jpg
I like this one too, with its unusual and cool color grading. I'm leaning towards the warm, but that is my usual inclination anyway. Both are super engaging. The canted board is essential to its charm.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

I opened both images in new tabs and toggled back and forth for awhile and re-read you statement.....I'm not finding any more depth in the second version..I start wondering why and decide the background because of the cooler color seems brighter than in the warmer version(whether it is or not is irrelevant..it's how it seems) so maybe a darker layer added and painted in to taste..I dunno Piet, just observation from me listening to your intent...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

davechinn wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Absolutely stunning Piet !!! I love both images, I can't put a finger on a favorite. I'm amazed ... your imagination is beyond control. Share some of it if you will, I seemed to have lost the edge, but seeing your work is an inspiration for recovery.
LOL - thank you Dave - not imagination as you might imagine! (I have been so damn busy with real life lately). I always forget the little things I learn, so I keep circling back around and around. But for what it is worth, this is the process behind the madness...

Obviously I am interested in image creation and modification and improvement of existing images and combining different pieces of different photographs etc. To increase my "photographic image editing" skills, I have been attempting to learn about painting and colors in the traditional painter's world (not actually trying to paint of course). So I have been reading a lot of books like Carlson's guide to landscape painting - being hopeful that I see little bits and pieces of things that I could call a principle. Then I think about creating an image based on images that I have seen elsewhere (inspiration) combined with randomness.

Not very formal.. in this case I saw an image of a chessboard with a crow sitting next to a queen piece. So my choice was to take a picture of my chessboard (king only) with a wider angle lens than normal (to get the squares to have a lot of depth).. Then I thought about other images in my library and what I might add in/combine/and try to make look realistic. I selected the Osprey and a Mouse and then just went to work - and took what came out.

I attempted the color change thing as a way to further improve the base image - but I don't think I achieved my objectives. If I were to start over, I would convert the image to black and white and then work on the tones in black and white to try to achieve a greater feeling of depth. And then after that, figure a good color palette and take it from there. (Or keep the colors, but work with the grey scale image as a luminosity layer perhaps). But I always get lazy, sloppy, impulsive, and forget what I am doing, and then I get interrupted by life, and then the cycle begins all over again.

So anyway - no, not imagination, but rather a good dose of Random and convenient. And thanks Frank and Minnie for your comments also - I thought that the second image was a little different, but after time, I didn't find it an improvement, so that work was a failure. (I just wish I could figure why however - because therein lies the secret of getting better)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I always enjoy reading about the journey you take through an image. Like Dave, I admire your imagination and your gifts for light and color.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm
I always enjoy reading about the journey you take through an image. Like Dave, I admire your imagination and your gifts for light and color.
thank you Minnie, I am glad you enjoyed the story - I am sure it is one that is familiar to us all!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:35 pm
minniev wrote:
thank you Minnie, I am glad you enjoyed the story - I am sure it is one that is familiar to us all!
"I always get lazy, sloppy, impulsive, and forget what I am doing, and then I get interrupted by life, and then the cycle begins all over again."

The story of my photographic life, especially on the artistic side of things. I can keep myself in order with straight photography, but most days that is not enough fun for me. I have to turn Dave into Poseidon with a trident instead of a tripod, or I have to turn my grandson into a werewolf, or I have to turn a nice fall scene into a painting and try to wedge an old truck into it...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Ah the tribulations of you creatives....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:35 pm
minniev wrote:
"I always get lazy, sloppy, impulsive, and forget what I am doing, and then I get interrupted by life, and then the cycle begins all over again."

The story of my photographic life, especially on the artistic side of things. I can keep myself in order with straight photography, but most days that is not enough fun for me. I have to turn Dave into Poseidon with a trident instead of a tripod, or I have to turn my grandson into a werewolf, or I have to turn a nice fall scene into a painting and try to wedge an old truck into it...
Driven - you are. I know.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Ha! You are driven too. I know, I can tell..

Once I was with some friends and I told a funny story and they laughed, they laughed hard. And one said - "Piet, you are a Wit".

And then my wife said - "well, at least you are half right!".

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:19 am
Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Ha! You are driven too. I know, I can tell..

Once I was with some friends and I told a funny story and they laughed, they laughed hard. And one said - "Piet, you are a Wit".

And then my wife said - "well, at least you are half right!".
I know from experience she's correct.....always