“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerGreat Blue Heron in Hiding

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Great Blue Heron in Hiding

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Sometimes you find one of these beauties nearly hidden in shadows and reeds. Suggestions, edits welcome for furthering my idea of mystery and discovery. Thanks!
Attachments
PA160040-1.jpg
PA160040-1.jpg (560.32 KiB) Viewed 175 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: Great Blue Heron in Hiding

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:30 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Sometimes you find one of these beauties nearly hidden in shadows and reeds. Suggestions, edits welcome for furthering my idea of mystery and discovery. Thanks!

I love the photo but am not crazy about the color scheme, which emphasizes him in a way that makes it hard to understand how hidden he really is (I know how well they hide!) and the color solves the mystery too easily.

I wonder about monochrome, or near-monochrome, for this one?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:57 pm

minniev wrote:I love the photo but am not crazy about the color scheme, which emphasizes him in a way that makes it hard to understand how hidden he really is (I know how well they hide!) and the color solves the mystery too easily.

I wonder about monochrome, or near-monochrome, for this one?

Super observation and feedback, Minnie, thank you! Below is b&w of the image shown in opening, retaining the glow. #2 is result of going back to re-work the dng in ACR, only to discover the photo I first edited for this thread was from the in-camera enhanced and 2x zoom-cropped jpg - ha! So I had more detail AND more real estate to work with, and decided to try a "Where's Waldo" moment. I will continue to explore this b&w idea + any other suggestions folks may provide.

Much appreciated!
Attachments
1 PA160040-1 bw.jpg
1 PA160040-1 bw.jpg (399.87 KiB) Viewed 164 times
1 PA160040 bw fm dng w crop.jpg
1 PA160040 bw fm dng w crop.jpg (611.53 KiB) Viewed 164 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm

I like the original picture a LOT, but have to agree that the heron is not very well hidden because of the rather bright blue. Was s/he really that color or did you punch it up? The thing is, it doesn't really matter except for the title, which (discussion of titles again) suggests that the bird should be hard to see but is not. I love the reflection! The shot to me stands perfectly well alone if you take "in Hiding" off the title.

That said, the monochrome works really well "in Hiding" the big bird, and I like the overall treatment from the original very much. For me the color works but the title doesn't, and if you want to retain the title then the monochrome works. ;)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like the original picture a LOT, but have to agree that the heron is not very well hidden because of the rather bright blue. Was s/he really that color or did you punch it up? The thing is, it doesn't really matter except for the title, which (discussion of titles again) suggests that the bird should be hard to see but is not. I love the reflection! The shot to me stands perfectly well alone if you take "in Hiding" off the title.

That said, the monochrome works really well "in Hiding" the big bird, and I like the overall treatment from the original very much. For me the color works but the title doesn't, and if you want to retain the title then the monochrome works. ;)

Thank you, Chuck! I followed your reasoning perfectly :D

Yes, the colors in opening are punched; that has become my middle name, most especially after our 7+ weeks of gray glare and gloom from the smoke this summer. And I have the most energy in spring and fall, so that is reflected in my pp choices too :)

As always, your time and viewpoint are much appreciated.

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello Linda, I'm not sold on the blue of your first version. Of your two monochromes I much prefer the first, the heron is there to see but it supports your "hidden" title.
Graham

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Graham Smith wrote:Hello Linda, I'm not sold on the blue of your first version. Of your two monochromes I much prefer the first, the heron is there to see but it supports your "hidden" title.

Thanks so much for your analysis, Graham. I'm very appreciative!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 am

I rather like the first image and hope you continue to pursue this direction at least until you chose another.

To add to the mystery I thought I'd see what I could do. I hope you like them! S-
Attachments
PA160040-1-1-2.jpg
Blue Dreams
PA160040-1-1.jpg
Purple Rain
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:I rather like the first image and hope you continue to pursue this direction at least until you chose another.

To add to the mystery I thought I'd see what I could do. I hope you like them! S-

Fun edits, Steve. I like your first very much! A good alternative to color-that-doesn't-hide or b&w. Thanks much!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Fun edits, Steve. I like your first very much! A good alternative to color-that-doesn't-hide or b&w. Thanks much!

The first was full Temperature and the second full Tint. Thank you so much for posting these here. I hope to see more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Artistic Expressions”