“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's Corner'Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug'

Show off your artistic or experimental side of photography.
- Abstract, collages, still life, digital or analog manipulations... Whatever doesn't fit in another category.
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug'

Postby davechinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 pm

This is a composite from an image I took while at Keeneland Racetrack. As I have mentioned before, I always try to capture something different and possibly use at a later date, which what is shown here. A lady taking a drink from her cup and where I used a different background, a sky/clouds. It works for me, but how about the majority? Does it work, or should I go back to the drawing board for something different? Again, always experimenting !!!
Dave
Attachments
Chug A lug DEC_4092w.jpg
'Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug'

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug'

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Super-interesting, Dave! There are aspects I love and aspects I don't. The light patterns on her palm, the foam and the lighting on the glass, the composition - specifically how much of the woman's face and how large the glass - very appealing.

I don't care for the distortion, size and darkness of her fingers; there's kind of an alien, malevolent feel. I wonder if lightening the tops of her fingers that are above the glass would lessen that, or if you deliberately created that look, can you talk about your choices? Thanks for another fascinating work!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am

Interesting! Arresting, even! Applying my usual formula, How would I react if I saw it in a museum, it would absolutely stop me to look for a time. I think it is definitely a work of art! I like the way the waning light comes through the glass and refracts on the palm of her hand. The compositing looks flawless. I can't say I would want it on my wall, but if I saw it in a museum or gallery I would enjoy it while I was there. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 am

Alright Dave, roll up your sleeves. I'm a gonna put ya to work...

Linda touched a bit on the light issue with the fingers. There is definitely an incongruity of light direction between the subject and background. One solution may be to flip the background so that the light on both look like they're coming from the same direction. As you consider light direction you also need to understand how it interacts with the subject. In particular the hair off her forehead. Darken it to look more backlit for the sky.

The masking of the foreground is really clean. There is an ever so slight halo that can easily be reduced with the refine edge tool.

Now for the challenge. The cup is clear. I should be able to see the sky through it. Maybe a little distorted and diffused, but visible nonetheless. This will require to play with blending modes and opacity of those blends in order to make it look believable.

With your permission... Here's a quickly manipulated cup using the "Blend If" function in layer styles. For a nice explanation check out PixImperfect's great tutorial on blend if.

Blend_If.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Super-interesting, Dave! There are aspects I love and aspects I don't. The light patterns on her palm, the foam and the lighting on the glass, the composition - specifically how much of the woman's face and how large the glass - very appealing.

I don't care for the distortion, size and darkness of her fingers; there's kind of an alien, malevolent feel. I wonder if lightening the tops of her fingers that are above the glass would lessen that, or if you deliberately created that look, can you talk about your choices? Thanks for another fascinating work!

Thanks for commenting Linda. I too, find it interesting, but what I find interesting may not be for most others. This was actually an experiment taken from an idea I had while processing the same image a little differently. I decided to go another step and post to see how it may be interpreted, whether in a positive or negative way. I felt this was practice for another image I have been working on and haven't made a decision to which direction to take it as of yet.

I agree, the fingers should be slightly more exposed, but I didn't want to go far. I have since taken another direction with this image. Although, not complete, I'm still a little decisive on a completion. Hope this helps with any concerns you may have.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:12 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Interesting! Arresting, even! Applying my usual formula, How would I react if I saw it in a museum, it would absolutely stop me to look for a time. I think it is definitely a work of art! I like the way the waning light comes through the glass and refracts on the palm of her hand. The compositing looks flawless. I can't say I would want it on my wall, but if I saw it in a museum or gallery I would enjoy it while I was there. :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck !!! I have never considered your term of, "usual formula", I find it quite interesting as a variety of interpretation to view images. A formula I will have to try and remember when in doubt. This was considered to be a form of art through photography and never did intend it to be museum quality or on any of my walls. All intentions were for practice only. Thanks for your comments which will lead me to another phase.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 am

Duck wrote:Alright Dave, roll up your sleeves. I'm a gonna put ya to work...

Linda touched a bit on the light issue with the fingers. There is definitely an incongruity of light direction between the subject and background. One solution may be to flip the background so that the light on both look like they're coming from the same direction. As you consider light direction you also need to understand how it interacts with the subject. In particular the hair off her forehead. Darken it to look more backlit for the sky.

The masking of the foreground is really clean. There is an ever so slight halo that can easily be reduced with the refine edge tool.

Now for the challenge. The cup is clear. I should be able to see the sky through it. Maybe a little distorted and diffused, but visible nonetheless. This will require to play with blending modes and opacity of those blends in order to make it look believable.

With your permission... Here's a quickly manipulated cup using the "Blend If" function in layer styles. For a nice explanation check out PixImperfect's great tutorial on blend if.

Blend_If.jpg

Thank you ever so much for the descriptive failures I have encountered with this image. I have used "Blend if" previously, but not enough to remember that its even there or available to me. Actually, I'm not totally sure when to even use it. I will have to study up more on the subject and while your supplied link will be a good start. I appreciate you taking the time for a good explanation, I have to prepare myself mentally for the task, so rather than (at this time) work through this particular image I chose what I consider the easy way out and chose a different, but similar background. What are your thoughts on this one?
Dave
Attachments
Chug A lug #2 DEC_4092w.jpg
'Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug' (Revised)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 pm

davechinn wrote:[...] What are your thoughts on this one?

Much, much better and natural looking. The light balance between subject and background match (and even the color balance), avoiding that incongruity between the two. Well done.

As for the Blend-If function... I feel you on that one. I have a hard time fully understanding how it works so I spend way too much time "experimenting". I am getting better at it so with practice it will get easier.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Duck wrote:
davechinn wrote:[...] What are your thoughts on this one?

Much, much better and natural looking. The light balance between subject and background match (and even the color balance), avoiding that incongruity between the two. Well done.

As for the Blend-If function... I feel you on that one. I have a hard time fully understanding how it works so I spend way too much time "experimenting". I am getting better at it so with practice it will get easier.

Thanks for taking another look and giving me your opinion.

I too, spend way too much time experimenting, actually I experiment with just about everything only in hopes of learning something new and to improve on whats learned through experimenting.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:57 am

davechinn wrote:... What are your thoughts on this one?
Dave

I like this one much better, now just get remove your selfie reflecting on her middle finger and you're all set! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Artistic Expressions”