― Artistic Expression CritiqueA Light in the Darkness

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

A Light in the Darkness

Post by Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:58 pm

This image is the basis for my Avatar. It was one of the few times I used my Canon 50mm f/1.4 for its light collection capabilities. Shot with a tripod very early in the morning so as to catch some ambient light from the window. To get the shot I had to boost my ISO to 800, knowing that my noise level would probably skyrocket. It turns out that grainy photos don't bother me so much as long as I get sharp details in an image. That was what I was striving for here.
Attachments
LightInTheDarkness_photoMENTORIS.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I've always loved this shot. I think you've returned to it a time or two. For me it is perfect. I love the rising, splaying shadows cast by the etching on the glass. Your title is perfect too. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I've always loved this shot. I think you've returned to it a time or two. For me it is perfect. I love the rising, splaying shadows cast by the etching on the glass. Your title is perfect too. (Y)
You're right about having seen this before Chuck. I've discovered some new software tricks that allowed me to enhance this to the point where I was getting detailed color separation in the etched glass and in the shadows. This is finally where I wanted it to go.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

I've always enjoyed this image ever since I saw it in your avatar. I'm glad you posted the larger version. It has a fantasy feel to it, like walking through an Elven forest. The light is gorgeous but I do prefer the cropping in your avatar better.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:This image is the basis for my Avatar. It was one of the few times I used my Canon 50mm f/1.4 for its light collection capabilities. Shot with a tripod very early in the morning so as to catch some ambient light from the window. To get the shot I had to boost my ISO to 800, knowing that my noise level would probably skyrocket. It turns out that grainy photos don't bother me so much as long as I get sharp details in an image. That was what I was striving for here.

Bob, Really enchanting. Nicely done. I am not sure if I prefer this or your avatar; this has more red, the avatar more yellow. I go back and forth; each has a different moody effect on me. This one speaks of a warm fire in a mountain lodge with snow falling outside. The avatar suggest very early spring tapping on the window. Keep both for our many seasons. It is good to have you on this site. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:This image is the basis for my Avatar. It was one of the few times I used my Canon 50mm f/1.4 for its light collection capabilities. Shot with a tripod very early in the morning so as to catch some ambient light from the window. To get the shot I had to boost my ISO to 800, knowing that my noise level would probably skyrocket. It turns out that grainy photos don't bother me so much as long as I get sharp details in an image. That was what I was striving for here.

Very nice in either version. You prove once again that interesting photos do not require exotic travel but merely an exotic imagination and the skill to turn your vision into an image. It's intriguing, forces you to look and think about what it actually is, but best of all it's inspiring to make us think outside the box.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 am

I love this for its power and simplicity, beauty and elegance. I agree too that I go back and forth between this and your avatar, and now that I've read it that it reminds me of a time long ago when knights and elves roamed the land. It's odd I don't use my 50 as much as I thought I would. Was your depth of field shallow here?

And I hope you don't mind, but I wonder what you think of a Singles Challenge based on this? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"