― Artistic Expression CritiqueThe Chase

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Chase

Post by Psjunkie » Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 pm

'nother soccer shot..the good, the bad, the ugly all welcomed.
Attachments
20180517FGS_4277-The_Chase.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Love it Frank. I will have to get that action... You are mastering its intricacies, I believe.

I may like it better with the right side cropped off to allow the boys who are closest to us to be the sole subjects. Portrait style. It seems to lend more power that way. But it’s very cool either way.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon May 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Please show me minniev..you know I'm wide open to other's interpretations of my images...I don't know if I even know what portrait style is....the original intent was for the ball and fellow behind it to seem as if they are coming at you and thought they needed some distance to do so with the net and other players adding some balance....and thank you for comment.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 am

Cropping just along the second-from-left red support for the goal. I can’t figure out how to download and repost. My workflow is still in its infancy and I have a lot to figure out. Home tomorrow so then, if I’m not ‘splaining well enough!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am

you mean like this.....I"ll ponder it for a while....forgot you were electronically crippled...
Attachments
20180517FGS_4277-The_Chase_2.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 22, 2018 1:37 am

Wow, a much more powerful presentation of the action. The viewer is now forced to look at the story without any distractions. Considering what you had to work with... this is the best one yet.

Now... I see you rolling your eyes... Let me walk you through the mind of an illustrator asked to show boys competing on a playing field (for a fictitious tween book) :D

The boy in the yellow would never be that hidden, at least not the face so I would either set him further back or not at all. The chasing boy, I would have made him an opponent so I would have painted him with a yellow jersey. Of course if this were an illustration i would not have any of the constraints of a photo. Putting pencil to paper allows for invention. That doesn't mean with skill and a dismissal for the 'reality' of the scene you captured this couldn't be modified. Clone out the half hidden player, change the jersey color on the other boy and voila, a suberbly strong children's illustration.

But... that's if I were approaching it for a book illustration, which this isn't. However, maybe you can pick something out of this mental process. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 am

Awesome Frank. Really torqued energy in those little arms and shoulders. I think it's a girl teammate following, no? I like Duck's suggestion but only for parents who don't know the players. And I like the original with the boy on the right cheering him on. Memories, lots of memories here. GOOOOOOOAL!

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Some cool stuff here Frank !!! An intense capture where the cropped version has more impact, but thats not to say your first is a failure. I like both very much. For an artistic version cloning and changing colors would work as well. My thoughts are, if you plan on that route, why not clone all players out except the front runner, ball and background net/goal? Just my thought, but either would work, IMO. As for an action shot, what you have captured is what it is and I wouldn't change anything. So many options to choose only makes it difficult to decide a route, but I'm sure you already have one in mind already.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm

While I like minniev's crop and your suggestion for book cover Duck, it just becomes a different image which is fine, seems like there's always an image in an image..for the sake of stepping up critique just a bit I would like thoughts on the loss of all the character of the original image with the crop, it does as minniev points out, become more of a portrait...for me it looses all the game interaction without the rest of players..I also feel the original has a feeling of depth and balance with the size reduction diminishing from left to right...I am very grateful for both your comments and suggestions as both spur thoughts for my improvement....oh and don't look too close at the edit, was done for discussion purposes only.
Attachments
20180517FGS_4277-The_Chase_3.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 am
Awesome Frank. Really torqued energy in those little arms and shoulders. I think it's a girl teammate following, no? I like Duck's suggestion but only for parents who don't know the players. And I like the original with the boy on the right cheering him on. Memories, lots of memories here. GOOOOOOOAL!

Matt
Yes Matt a girl, one of the better players...yes those arms caught my eye, yes we need to keep making memories..thanks for comment.