Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: creating a battle scene

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:43 am

Duck wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 pm
OMG, OMG, OMG I LOVE Puppet Warp. OMG!!!!!!!!

I thought you might. How easy was that?
What a tool! But now I need to understand light better, I really warped the damn thing!

Here in our new installment, Frank got a shiney new spear, but his tights were too tight and he didn't move fast enough. The image isn't reading well enough, But I think I can get people to move forwards and backwards at the end by using atmospheric perspective tricks and do a pass of raising and lower contrast and such. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect, so long as I improve it at the right stage.. Am learning, slowly but surely.
temp4.jpg

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm
One guy on a horse does not a battle make.

Over the next couple of weeks I want to keep building onto this image until we've got something that could almost be called Epic. So I took another shot of a couple of guys under similar lighting as the horseman was. And I used Nic to make it grey scale, so that it can be colored in a scheme that will make sense for the scene. I will color and complete them and then I will take another shot - it might take 20 or 30, though I figure one new integration per day is a fair target.

Please help me figure things out. When you can't paint, when you can't draw, You Got To Cheat Like Hell!

temp.jpg

Piet, this is absolutely wonderful !!! I love what you're doing in creating various scenes that have a realistic impact. I'm sorta like you, I can't paint and I sure as hell can't draw, especially stick people, so cheating is allowed IMO. I came across this individual a few years ago that reminded me of your work and I thought I would share: https://fstoppers.com/bts/model-maker-t ... -shoot-867 You may have seen or heard of him and if so, sorry as in not to take away anything that you are doing. I thought maybe this would give you some ideas for future projects. I'm definitely looking forward to your finished work of progress and I do understand it will take time.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:06 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:46 pm
One guy on a horse does not a battle make.

Over the next couple of weeks I want to keep building onto this image until we've got something that could almost be called Epic. So I took another shot of a couple of guys under similar lighting as the horseman was. And I used Nic to make it grey scale, so that it can be colored in a scheme that will make sense for the scene. I will color and complete them and then I will take another shot - it might take 20 or 30, though I figure one new integration per day is a fair target.

Please help me figure things out. When you can't paint, when you can't draw, You Got To Cheat Like Hell!

temp.jpg

Piet, this is absolutely wonderful !!! I love what you're doing in creating various scenes that have a realistic impact. I'm sorta like you, I can't paint and I sure as hell can't draw, especially stick people, so cheating is allowed IMO. I came across this individual a few years ago that reminded me of your work and I thought I would share: https://fstoppers.com/bts/model-maker-t ... -shoot-867 You may have seen or heard of him and if so, sorry as in not to take away anything that you are doing. I thought maybe this would give you some ideas for future projects. I'm definitely looking forward to your finished work of progress and I do understand it will take time.
Dave
Hi Dave. I HAD scene that before!! His forced perspective work is amazing. I am glad to have been reminded of what he does. I think what I am doing is 1000 percent easier (as hard as it is). I can take a shot of one image at a time and composite it in. Which obviously takes a certain skill, but nowhere as much skill as arranging all the pieces and getting the perfect shot.
I had built some small dioramas of soldiers just for the fun of it, but now I am seeing the benefit of each individual piece and using it in photoshop to composite.
I lot of skill building to go with my biggest regret in life in not learning my Duck skills when I was young (and learning was easier).

edit -- One thing for sure... When you have an interest and learn about it and synthesize it with your other existing interests and skills - A Type of Magic Happens.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 pm

added another piece.. Fixed the spear to be longer, tried to add some detail to the spearman's face. The new figure is not as dynamic as I was wanting, but I liked his sword's contribution to the triangle type composition so I went with it. Now thinking about the next figure...
temp5.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 pm

darkened swordsman and added buzzard (which just happened to be flying around today)!!!! I wish I knew how to integrate Buzz in a little better..
temp6.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:16 pm
darkened swordsman and added buzzard (which just happened to be flying around today)!!!! I wish I knew how to integrate Buzz in a little better..

temp6.jpg
this is so cool, watching you make the image come to life.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Might I suggest lightening the spearman's torso from spear through face just a bit as he is hard to distinguish.......really enjoying this Piet.

Edit: and after another look seems the buzzard's port wing is kinda long.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 pm
Might I suggest lightening the spearman's torso from spear through face just a bit as he is hard to distinguish.......really enjoying this Piet.

Edit: and after another look seems the buzzard's port wing is kinda long.
Thank you Min and thank you Frank. Good idea about the spearman's face. I will do that. (I will bloody up the weapons too, but that will be a last thing kind of thing.. - I want to research how to make the weapons look more like metal and such.

About the bird... I think it came out of the camera that way, but I did resize him and rotate him a little, so maybe I did it - or maybe it is just the perspective of how I took the image. But regardless, now that you have shown me, I think I have to squeeze it back somehow, maybe at the end with a warp or liquify thing - I did a lot of work blending it in, so it would cost a lot of work to just go back to the masked version... Anyway, I appreciate the thought very much.

edit - I zoomed in and measured the bird's left wing (camera right) and it is slightly shorter then the other wing, but actually about the same if you consider the curl of the ending feathers. I think it is an optical illusion since the wing is more straight to us - we see less top and less bottom making it thinner - and thinner makes it look longer.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 am

Totally understand the wing thing and just my perception....don't get me wrong here Piet...just observing and commenting and know you have the knowledge to pick out the parts relevant for you...I will quiz you about perspective, measuring and optical illusion though....In the end, isn't it what the viewer perceives measured or not??

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:24 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:09 am
Totally understand the wing thing and just my perception....don't get me wrong here Piet...just observing and commenting and know you have the knowledge to pick out the parts relevant for you...I will quiz you about perspective, measuring and optical illusion though....In the end, isn't it what the viewer perceives measured or not??
Absolutely right Frank! It is like the back edge of a lake. If it "seems" crooked, it "is" crooked. I just found it amazing that the wing you called long in fact was shorter!!! That speaks volumes about perception. It is what we percieve that matters, not what "is". At least in the Art world it is. I might be able to fix the perception problem by fattening up the wing a little for instance, if that is the root reason. Or the fact that it is such a straight line is what makes it look long, in which case maybe putting a little bend into it would help.