Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression CritiqueVillage of Salvage, NF - Artistic effort.

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Village of Salvage, NF - Artistic effort.

Post by minniev »

trying out some artistic approaches on some of the NF photos.
Attachments
salvage (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec »

Personally I like the photo but I would crop out the barrier with the ropes. Too distracting to me.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

mikec wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:05 am
Personally I like the photo but I would crop out the barrier with the ropes. Too distracting to me.
Or soften them out of focus somehow.

I agree with Mike. My eye wants to go to the far shore cottages but the foreground element is too strong.
I like the oil/smudge painting technique on this one. It really fits the mood well.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

It appears to me you wanted the rope to be the subject here as your effect seems to be applied everywhere except the top part of the rope.....It is a nice image, maybe the effect should be on the entire image..I dunno

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

mikec wrote:
Thanks Mike! I have quite a few I took without that foreground piece, but then I started liking the darned thing and trying to figure something to do with it! I'll be looking at the others that skipped the barrier.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:11 am
mikec wrote:
Or soften them out of focus somehow.

I agree with Mike. My eye wants to go to the far shore cottages but the foreground element is too strong.
I like the oil/smudge painting technique on this one. It really fits the mood well.
Two votes against the barrier with the nets. I'll look again at the ones I took before I got entranced with the thing.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am
It appears to me you wanted the rope to be the subject here as your effect seems to be applied everywhere except the top part of the rope.....It is a nice image, maybe the effect should be on the entire image..I dunno
I did mask down the effect on the ropes, so I'll look at letting the blur show more. You are right that I was interested in those nets. I'd never seen anyone use road barriers to dry or organize their nets.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

This happens to me all the time, mostly because I am not a landscape photographer so I tend to rush things. I don't slow down enough to really work the scene and problem solve on site. Unfortunately as I look at this scene there are other elements far more visually stronger that distracts my eye from those nets. The low position, the darker tones and the lack of emphasys are unfortunately working against you.

If you have an image where the perspective is lower (reducing the amount of water between the barrier and the far shore) that showcases more of the nets will probably work in your favor. Maybe even composite a couple of images for a stronger composition.

Or just crop out the nets. Personally I love that little cottage on the far shore. It's a pretty enough scene without the nets, although you'll need one with sharper focus. 8)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:06 pm
This happens to me all the time, mostly because I am not a landscape photographer so I tend to rush things. I don't slow down enough to really work the scene and problem solve on site. Unfortunately as I look at this scene there are other elements far more visually stronger that distracts my eye from those nets. The low position, the darker tones and the lack of emphasys are unfortunately working against you.

If you have an image where the perspective is lower (reducing the amount of water between the barrier and the far shore) that showcases more of the nets will probably work in your favor. Maybe even composite a couple of images for a stronger composition.

Or just crop out the nets. Personally I love that little cottage on the far shore. It's a pretty enough scene without the nets, although you'll need one with sharper focus. 8)
Thanks for the feedback. I have plenty of the scene without the nets. My first instinct was to work around them from above and to the right side, but then I saw them and I couldn’t help myself. All are sharp enough, and even this one was sharp before I hammered it with brushwork..