Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People ShowcaseGrandkids in three varieties

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Grandkids in three varieties

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:20 am

I wanted to do a non-traditional portrait of my grandkids that captured a bit of their personalities. I had this concept in mind for about a month and today I had the chance to execute it.

Evan, the elder, is the quiet thinker. He loves math and space and drawing. Bryce, the younger brother, is a bull in a china shop. He's rough, smashes cars around but has a tender side that comes out occasionally. In those moments its the small glittery things, stickers and unicorns. Now that you know a bit about them here is my portrait.
Evan & Bryce Starlords.jpg
After I had the images (they were shot independently) grandma wanted a 'nice' picture so I reset the lights and did this shot.
Evan & Bryce.jpg
By the end they were starting to get antsy so I let them do what they wanted. Evan took his shirt off to "show off his muscles" and Bryce had to follow suit. This shot inspired me to turn them into superheroes. Enjoy.
Evan & Bryce Superheroes.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:37 am

Wonderful Duck...like 'em all....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:16 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:37 am
Wonderful Duck...like 'em all....
Thanks. I had fun doing these.

My wife is pushing me to do more 'people' photography. :)

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Duck wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:20 am
I wanted to do a non-traditional portrait of my grandkids that captured a bit of their personalities. I had this concept in mind for about a month and today I had the chance to execute it.

Evan, the elder, is the quiet thinker. He loves math and space and drawing. Bryce, the younger brother, is a bull in a china shop. He's rough, smashes cars around but has a tender side that comes out occasionally. In those moments its the small glittery things, stickers and unicorns. Now that you know a bit about them here is my portrait.

Evan & Bryce Starlords.jpg

After I had the images (they were shot independently) grandma wanted a 'nice' picture so I reset the lights and did this shot.

Evan & Bryce.jpg

By the end they were starting to get antsy so I let them do what they wanted. Evan took his shirt off to "show off his muscles" and Bryce had to follow suit. This shot inspired me to turn them into superheroes. Enjoy.

Evan & Bryce Superheroes.jpg
These are great Duck, and I know the kids loved the fun set-ups. Great example of how to get good kids pictures - let them play before and/or after you make them work for you, and get them involved.

The grandma picture is a perfect gem, with your expertise making it demand a large print with frame.

But the fun ones should at least go on the boys' bulletin boards. I got each of my three an 8x10 acrylic stand up frame for $1 each, and they love acting out ideas they or I think up, then sticking a new print in their frame.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:49 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:19 pm
These are great Duck, and I know the kids loved the fun set-ups. Great example of how to get good kids pictures - let them play before and/or after you make them work for you, and get them involved.

The grandma picture is a perfect gem, with your expertise making it demand a large print with frame.

But the fun ones should at least go on the boys' bulletin boards. I got each of my three an 8x10 acrylic stand up frame for $1 each, and they love acting out ideas they or I think up, then sticking a new print in their frame.

Thank you Minnie. You are so right. Once I got the shots I wanted and I then let them do their own thing it proved to be so well worth it. They gave me something I would never have thought of. They also got to feel like an active participant in the whole event. I love giving kids a sense of empowerment. Such great lessons there.

For the 'nice' portrait, I am looking to get that done as a large canvas wrap. The 'Superheroes' one I printed that out as an 8x10 and will get a nice frame for the boy's room (they had separate bedrooms but asked to be together in one bedroom) The other bedroom is now a playroom. I think it will look nice on their dresser since most of their walls are covered with posters of monster trucks and robots. :)

The 'Starlords' is getting printed large and getting hung up in my living room.

Just for fun I did a photo manipulation of the two of them together. The end results reminds me a little like an old tin type that's seen some wear.

Unitas_Photography-0035.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

these are awesome Duck. Way to make them part of the photo shoot in a very active and fun way!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 am

One more variation. this time a watercolor effect...

Unitas_Photography-0035-2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 pm

a nice effect but I prefer the more traditional previous look...course you know who you are trying to please....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 am
One more variation. this time a watercolor effect...

Unitas_Photography-0035-2.jpg
Obviously well done, though I prefer the earlier water color look, i think the browns are more boy-ish looking, though my 6 year old artistic grandson would tell me that colors have nothing to do with boys or girls, colors are just colors.

Did you use an action, or create this "by hand" in PS?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:34 pm

All of these are absolutely great !!! You make it hard to pick and choose for some I'm sure. For me, the very first one is hands down the winner for me. The lighting, expressions and choice of added components really shines through for a great image. (!)
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey