Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression CritiquePhotohunt Challenge meetup July 2017

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Photohunt Challenge meetup July 2017

Post by Duck »

On Sunday some members of "My Photo Group", an amateur photography group on Meetup, and I got together for an event called the "Photohunt Challenge", a fun variation on a standard photo hunt game. Each photographer (player) drew a card and had 15 minutes to complete the task on the card. We went several rounds and had a great time really stretching our abilities. This thread is for posting images from the day's event.

PhotoMENTORIS members are welcomed to comment and critique the images posted here but keep in mind that all the photographers had a limited timeframe to make an image from our environment. We got together at the Waterbury green in downtown Waterbury, CT. In the group we had myself, Robin, Lynn and Lynn's husband.

The cards drawn, listed in alphabetical order (not in order of play) were as follows;
  • A smile
  • Animal
  • Food/drink
  • Four legged
  • Gathering
  • Hands
  • Hot/cold
  • It's a blur
  • Part of a whole
  • Something old
  • Technology
  • Texture
  • Worm's eye view
  • Your reflection

I hope you enjoy these efforts.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

My first card was "Part of a whole" and my initial thought was to show something that once belonged to a whole. Ideally I would like to show the part and what the part came from within the frame. As I started heading of in search of the image I thought, "this may be harder than I thought." I then spotted this scene and thought it fit the challenge.
Unitas_Photography-2105.jpg

I had some time left so I kept looking and saw something different. It was a missing sign. While I could not photograph the part I felt the whole had enough information to carry the message.
Unitas_Photography-2106.jpg

The third image came easier as I was now getting in tune with the theme. This is another one where the part was missing. After I took the photo I thought it may not be as strong as I initially thought.
Unitas_Photography-2109.jpg

[heading]The final image[/heading]
During the next round I came across this scene and thought, "aha! This fits the part of a whole so much better." In this case the part is present but the whole is not but what got me about this whole scene was how out of place the hubcap appears. This, in my opinion, really emphasized the theme quite nicely. So this is my official submission for that task.
Unitas_Photography-2114.jpg
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:On Sunday some members of "My Photo Group", an amateur photography group on Meetup, and I got together for an event called the "Photohunt Challenge", a fun variation on a standard photo hunt game. Each photographer (player) drew a card and had 15 minutes to complete the task on the card. We went several rounds and had a great time really stretching our abilities. This thread is for posting images from the day's event.

PhotoMENTORIS members are welcomed to comment and critique the images posted here but keep in mind that all the photographers had a limited timeframe to make an image from our environment. We got together at the Waterbury green in downtown Waterbury, CT. In the group we had myself, Robin, Lynn and Lynn's husband.

The cards drawn, listed in alphabetical order (not in order of play) were as follows;
  • A smile
  • Animal
  • Food/drink
  • Four legged
  • Gathering
  • Hands
  • Hot/cold
  • It's a blur
  • Part of a whole
  • Something old
  • Technology
  • Texture
  • Worm's eye view
  • Your reflection

I hope you enjoy these efforts.

It looks like great fun, makes me wish for such events locally. You are light years ahead of us here, where I can still count the number of photographers I've met "in the wild" on two hands. I've been counting since 2008 and am now up to 9.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Robin Zarbo
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Robin Zarbo »

We had a great time at this photo challenge and Duck did an amazing job with the deck of challenges. They really made you think! My first card was about being Social, be it human or animal social interaction. A city green is obviously a great place to find people being social. I walked in to a very large and beautiful church on the green and took this shot of a little boy who kept smiling at me, a very social gesture. His little sister's head, however, was ALWAYS in the way. :D
17Jul_photochallenge_020.jpg

The church was beautiful and I just loved the smiling boy but I kept on looking...
This image is my official submission for the Social challenge.

17Jul_photochallenge_007.jpg

Coming up next will be the Animal challenge

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Robin Zarbo wrote:We had a great time at this photo challenge and Duck did an amazing job with the deck of challenges. They really made you think! My first card was about being Social, be it human or animal social interaction. A city green is obviously a great place to find people being social. I walked in to a very large and beautiful church on the green and took this shot of a little boy who kept smiling at me, a very social gesture. His little sister's head, however, was ALWAYS in the way. :D 17Jul_photochallenge_020.jpg

The church was beautiful and I just loved the smiling boy but I kept on looking...
This image is my official submission for the Social challenge.

17Jul_photochallenge_007.jpg

Coming up next will be the Animal challenge

I'm excited to see one of Duck's group members here to tell us their version of things so we know how the activities he describes turn out! Welcome to pM, we hope you'll hang around, share lots of images, and comment on the images the rest of us share. I'm jealous of those of you who have access to such fun learning activities in person. We're trying to figure ways to incorporate such things into our own forum life. Those of us who lack an in=person photography peer group benefit from hearing about yours and exploring what things we can do online to achieve similar benefit.

I really like the image you decided on: the interaction is vibrant and full of emotion and implied movement.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Robin Zarbo
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Robin Zarbo »

Duck has created a wonderful "deck of challenges". He has put an amazing amount of thought a time in to this endeavor. Almost all of the challenges have a twist, if you will. One of the cards I drew was about Blur but the catch was that the blur was to be on the main storytelling part of the image. This was fun! We only had 15 minutes to complete our challenge but this was one I wished I had hours to work on!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

For those of you wanting to know a little more, here is a quick rundown...

The game I am developing will eventually be printed on glossy textured card stock just like a deck of playing cards. I currently have enough material for two decks. Here is what the backs of the cards will look like;

Photohunt card back.jpg
Photohunt card back.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

For now I put together a 'Beta' test deck done with some simple line drawings just to have something to play with and work out any bugs. Here is a sample of what I've developed so far;

Photohunt Challenge Test Cards.jpg

Eventually I will develop them into a finished product for a more polished look. In conversation with Robin during our inaugural trial run we discussed the pros and cons of using actual photographs for the cards but decided to go with a less 'influential' generic graphic for the card faces. For now here is a mockup of what the cards may eventually look like;

Photohunt Challenge Game.jpg

[heading]The Rules (so far)[/heading]
This is a ‘rounds’ based game. Game rules are adjustable but should be decided on before game starts. Time is based on player experience and environment with 15 to 30 minutes per round being average. Game ends after a certain time period or after a certain number of rounds.

BASIC RULES: Set the time limit for each round. You can adjust as needed. Challenge cards are shuffled and fanned out face down. Each player draws one challenge card from the deck. A card can be traded with another player or with the deck only once per round per player. Each player must find and photograph what is on the challenge card within the set time limit. At end of that time players reconvene to share notes and draw a new challenge card. If points are awarded use the point counters on card to keep a tally. If a card suggests a bonus point, and the player qualifies, add one point to score. Used cards do not get reshuffled until there are no more cards left to draw from. Once reshuffled, if a player draws the same card played earlier they get an automatic redraw. Repeat rounds until game ends.

[heading]Alternate Play[/heading]
No Redraw - Once the initial cards are drawn no new cards can be pulled from the deck. A new round starts by all members passing their card to the next player. In the end each player will have attempted the same challenges.

Flash Round - Instead of the 15 to 30 minute round time each player has only 10-15 minutes to complete their challenge. Flash rounds can be done at any time.

Relay Race - Players are split into equal numbered groups (3 or more work best). First player in each team draws one card and runs out to complete that challenge with no time limit. Once captured, that player returns and 'tags' the next player in their team who then draws the next card. The team that finishes first wins. To make it even use only the easy (single point) cards.

Group Play - Players divide into small groups from two to five per group. Each group then gets a number of cards (2-4 work best). All players then go out and work together to complete all the challenges before returning. Time limits are adjusted accordingly.

lday54
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by lday54 »

Just great game, practice, learning and social... how many games can say that! I will post some of mine soon.
Lin

Robin Zarbo
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Robin Zarbo »

The next card I pulled was to be an Animal or insect. I spent almost all of my allotted time walking around the green area and did not see one living animal. Not a dog, not a squirrel, not a bee. I finally spotted one ant. One solitary ant. I got down on the ground and just as I was about to press the shutter a woman walked past me and STEPPED ON IT! Sigh.... I had to be content with statuary animals.

Up first a feathered friend.
Up first a feathered friend.

Then I found a horse. My formal entry for this category.
Then I found a horse. My formal entry for this category.

Now over to Duck or Lin.

lday54
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by lday54 »

I had a wonderful time. It's not often that you find something that takes you out of your comfort zone with ease. The cards I picked pertained to the following :modern technology, 4 legs, smiles on faces and hands. If I had to pick one that left a lasting impression on me it would be a struggle. The tie would be smiles and hands.

I was left with a reverence for all that hands do for us. Young or old, our hands help us drink and eat. Pushing carts and playing sports , all made possible with our hands. We all met someone who talked with their hands. In these pictures, you'll see someone show ownership (Mine) and an older man find comfort on a public bench when he finds a comfortable spot for his hands.
cops.jpg

boyhang.jpg

showemotiona.jpg