Like a Phoenix, we have risen from the ashes of a technical bonfire that took the site down without warning. We are a little singed but the forum works. Help us test it out and let us know if you run into problems. We will pass on more information as we work our way through with our tech gurus who brought the site back from the dead. Thank you for your patience and welcome home! pM

Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Project 52Dave's Project 52

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dave's Project 52

Post by davechinn »

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm
I loved the fish-eye bridge shot, Dave! Very unique and engaging. This musician image is stunningly pp'd, and as Matt mentions, the hint of crowd in background adds a great deal to the story.

Thanks Linda !!! The bridge image was an experimental shot with a new lens and I'm gonna need more practice to achieve my goal of acceptance. I'm pleased with that shot but felt that maybe a different angle or composition would have been more acceptable to me.

As I mention to Minnie, I'm pleased with the musician image as well, and I appreciate you and others that have commented.
Dave

St3v3Murray
Site Admin
Site Admin
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3Murray »

davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Week #4 of Project 52. I have forced myself out 3 times this week only to accept my third outing to be the addition of week 4.

This is an image of Cincinnati/Ohio River that was shot from a different location that I usually don't go, but has a different point of view. I'm including a B&W and color version, because the bridge is bright yellow, but my version has been toned down some. The bridge is known to the locals as the Big Mac Bridge, but the proper name is Daniel Carter Beard Bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ca ... ard_Bridge

The B&W version I used a 16mm f2.8 fisheye lens, where the color version was with a 80-200mm f2.8 at 80mm range.
Wow to the second! I love that bridge, and the composition is perfect! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3Murray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by St3v3Murray »

davechinn wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:52 pm
... I'm trying to mix things up and do struggle from week to week with subject matter. I do think once the weather breaks things will become easier for me.
Dave
I sometimes wonder if the struggle is part of the art. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm
The straight-on perspective in b&w is a super-interesting shot, Dave! And I remember riding Champ too :)

Thanks for your interest and commenting Linda !!! Much appreciated.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm
davechinn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm
I thought I would post another of 'Champ'. He is plugged in and ready to ride for 25 cents. If I remember correctly it was only a nickel the last time I rode, inflation !!!
Both the "champ" photos are pretty cool, Dave. The first one with the empty street, the straight-on view of "Champ", and all the geometry is a visual puzzle that's fun to solve by following the lines and angles. The side-portrait of Champ is a nostalgic image that has a vintage feel to those muted colors.
(PS- your monochrome has some halos along those edges, but you know how to fix 'em!)

Thanks Minnie !!! I don't think there are many of these around anymore, so I felt the urge to document one for a collection of memories.
I knew about the haloing, but I decided to make repairs another day.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Week #7 of Project 52 and a much needed "mind meld" from me is in order for creative ideas of subject matter. ...
There's a power and beauty to these images that remind of something I'd see in a gallery showing. It's your composition and use of space, and the processing of course, but it's more than that, there's an intimate feeling that you somehow capture that's inviting and makes you want to know more, almost as if we are there with you. I hope you continue on this! S-

Thanks Steve, glad this has an impact for you. Now I know I'm never alone !!!
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

Week #8 and moving right along !!! I went out Sunday for awhile and came back with a couple of images that were make do. Not being satisfied I went out again Monday. Struggling for unique subject matter, I was about to give up for the day because I was running into a lighting issue. Having been to Devou Park Drees Pavilion many a time to capture one of my favorite places for skyline shots of Cincinnati. Most may be getting tired of seeing the same ole', same ole', but I can't help myself. I like what I like and I'm sure you do as well. Soooo ..... here is another Cincinnati skyline image.

However, after the skyline was taken, I just happen to see a couple taking selfies with a cellphone. I debated with myself for a couple of minutes only to force myself to approach them. My stumbling words were "Okay, I'm gonna step out of my comfort zone to talk to strangers". I gave them a card with my info, "I would like to take a few shots of you two", "email me and I'll send you digital copies". The rest is history, and they were more than happy. A win, win situation. Here is Tyrone and Miss Cynthia, was the term introduced to me.

Afterwards, I crawled back into my shell and went home. This why I say street photography/street portraits is therapeutic, for me !!!
Dave
Attachments
Cincinnati Skyline
Cincinnati Skyline
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #1
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #1
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #2
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #2
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #3
Tyrone & Miss Cynthia #3

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 pm
wonder no more... I am enjoying the low saturation sky line over the trees and river - I think cityscapes and cloudy skies work well. And your people shots are wonderful

Thanks Piet !!! I have retrieved some of my confidence back.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey »

Massive clouds from a low sky pressing down on the cityscape - very effective! Tyrone's love for Miss Cynthia comes across so naturally and beautifully in the first of those three shots. And she looks confident and appreciative of his admiration. I like that shot very much.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Week #8 and moving right along !!! I went out Sunday for awhile and came back with a couple of images that were make do. Not being satisfied I went out again Monday. Struggling for unique subject matter, I was about to give up for the day because I was running into a lighting issue. Having been to Devou Park Drees Pavilion many a time to capture one of my favorite places for skyline shots of Cincinnati. Most may be getting tired of seeing the same ole', same ole', but I can't help myself. I like what I like and I'm sure you do as well. Soooo ..... here is another Cincinnati skyline image.

However, after the skyline was taken, I just happen to see a couple taking selfies with a cellphone. I debated with myself for a couple of minutes only to force myself to approach them. My stumbling words were "Okay, I'm gonna step out of my comfort zone to talk to strangers". I gave them a card with my info, "I would like to take a few shots of you two", "email me and I'll send you digital copies". The rest is history, and they were more than happy. A win, win situation. Here is Tyrone and Miss Cynthia, was the term introduced to me.

Afterwards, I crawled back into my shell and went home. This why I say street photography/street portraits is therapeutic, for me !!!
Dave
Wonderful images of Tyrone and Miss Cynthia, especially like the last one. You captured personality + relationship. Excellent! I am sure they enjoyed them. When I converse with street photo subjects, I always offer images to be sent by email. When photographing the homeless, I offer to bring a print the next time I'm there. I've never had anyone turn me down.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones