Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General DiscussionsBird Behavior

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Bird Behavior

Post by minniev »

A couple of weeks ago I saw a post on FB where someone was asking about the behavior of a bluebird that was admiring itself in her car mirror.

And today, when I got back to the car from a camera expedition, there was a cardinal on the mirror of mine. He alternately looked at himself, pecked the mirrored bird, tried to feed it a seed, then fought it. Then he did it all again. This went in a predictable sequence for about a half dozen rounds before I decided I had to go home and cook breakfast. I didn't want to post these in the photo sections because they're so awful (they're shot through both windows of the car, my side and his). But I documented it so I could ask if anyone has seen birds do this.
Attachments
screaming into the abyss (1 of 1)-2.jpg
screaming into the abyss (1 of 1)-3.jpg
bird (1 of 1)-2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

holy cow - he found his evil twin doppelganger. Making friends is not easy, and making enemies is dangerous. Most run in terror!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Crazy...I don't know about birds and reflections other than there is some kind of attraction...once or sometimes twice a month we have birds fly into our windows or glass doors..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I’ve had birds splat into the windows too, both of cars and the house. But I never saw one pick a fight with their mirrored self.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Some years back (2009) my next door neighbor owned a small truck. One summer he bitched and complained about "them lousy birds crapping down the sides of his doors." Some of it just behind the side mirrors coincidentally. We both wondered why just in those spots. We also wondered why just his truck and not his wife's car right there or any of our vehicles parked less than 50 feet away.

One day I was out in my front yard with my 70-300mm kit lens trying to catch the local butterflies that came to visit. I suddenly heard a loud commotion from his driveway. Looking across I could see a bird flying down from a tree, landing on his door (windows were open) and attacking its reflection in the mirror. It would fight the mirror for a bit then fly THROUGH the trucks cab to the other mirror and start fighting its reflection there. As Minnie mentioned, this was a rather predictable sequence that lasted 20-30 minutes before it flew off. During its excited bout with its reflection the bird would let loose down the side of the door. I took photos of this for proof.

Not that I didn't like my neighbor (he was a great guy) but I found the defiling of his truck door by a small bird fighting with itself quite hilarious.

That is until it happened to my wife's car. Then I was rolling on the floor with laughter. My wife did not appreciate the humor of the situation like I did. She found a solution by placing bags over the side mirrors. The only problem was that they sometimes blew off with the wind that cuts across our driveway. I suggested getting some fake snakes to drape over the mirrors. I went to the toy department of our local big box store and, sure enough, problem solved.

This same scenario repeated itself the season after until she again placed the fake snakes on the mirrors. Since that time we have had no additional occurrences with rouge birds defecating themselves while mirror boxing. Knock on wood...
Attachments
Robin fighting itself and getting the $#!+ kicked out of himself
Robin fighting itself and getting the $#!+ kicked out of himself
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:45 pm
Some years back (2009) my next door neighbor owned a small truck. One summer he bitched and complained about "them lousy birds crapping down the sides of his doors." Some of it just behind the side mirrors coincidentally. We both wondered why just in those spots. We also wondered why just his truck and not his wife's car right there or any of our vehicles parked less than 50 feet away.

One day I was out in my front yard with my 70-300mm kit lens trying to catch the local butterflies that came to visit. I suddenly heard a loud commotion from his driveway. Looking across I could see a bird flying down from a tree, landing on his door (windows were open) and attacking its reflection in the mirror. It would fight the mirror for a bit then fly THROUGH the trucks cab to the other mirror and start fighting its reflection there. As Minnie mentioned, this was a rather predictable sequence that lasted 20-30 minutes before it flew off. During its excited bout with its reflection the bird would let loose down the side of the door. I took photos of this for proof.

Not that I didn't like my neighbor (he was a great guy) but I found the defiling of his truck door by a small bird fighting with itself quite hilarious.

That is until it happened to my wife's car. Then I was rolling on the floor with laughter. My wife did not appreciate the humor of the situation like I did. She found a solution by placing bags over the side mirrors. The only problem was that they sometimes blew off with the wind that cuts across our driveway. I suggested getting some fake snakes to drape over the mirrors. I went to the toy department of our local big box store and, sure enough, problem solved.

This same scenario repeated itself the season after until she again placed the fake snakes on the mirrors. Since that time we have had no additional occurrences with rouge birds defecating themselves while mirror boxing. Knock on wood...
Thanks for sharing that story and the picture. I had no idea this was a "bird thing"! - mirror wars! I've occasionally found a few admiring themselves in the mirrors but this was my first battle scene. I'll be watching for more. Hilarious about the toy snakes!

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia »

I have a friend who lives in the desert in Arizona. Some years ago when we visited, he had the mirrors on his vehicles covered. They had been attacked by a somewhat larger bird, I do not recall what kind he said it was, but it would actually break the mirrors. Males driving off rivals he said.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Ceropegia wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:15 pm
I have a friend who lives in the desert in Arizona. Some years ago when we visited, he had the mirrors on his vehicles covered. They had been attacked by a somewhat larger bird, I do not recall what kind he said it was, but it would actually break the mirrors. Males driving off rivals he said.
That explanation makes sense. My cardinal was a male.

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

minniev wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 am
A couple of weeks ago I saw a post on FB where someone was asking about the behavior of a bluebird that was admiring itself in her car mirror.

And today, when I got back to the car from a camera expedition, there was a cardinal on the mirror of mine. He alternately looked at himself, pecked the mirrored bird, tried to feed it a seed, then fought it. Then he did it all again. This went in a predictable sequence for about a half dozen rounds before I decided I had to go home and cook breakfast. I didn't want to post these in the photo sections because they're so awful (they're shot through both windows of the car, my side and his). But I documented it so I could ask if anyone has seen birds do this.
Bird behavior researchers investigating the limits of the territory defended by breeding males of many bird species routinely use mirrors on remotely moveable supports of a variety of sorts.

Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Bird behavior researchers investigating the limits of the territory defended by breeding males of many bird species routinely use mirrors on remotely moveable supports of a variety of sorts.

Dave
Birds are fascinating.