Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General DiscussionsA brain teaser

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A brain teaser

Post by uuglypher »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 pm
Wow minniev...that never occurred to me.........so with a white balance adjustment I now see pink shoe, white laces.....I wonder if you now see grey and green? I think the thing is some see one set of colors and some see the other set of colors.....
Gadzooks!
Anyone for puce and taupe?
...but that must be related to the up-side...:or is it the down-side? Fur-side outside, skinside inside... I’ve de-sided I’m be-side myself ... got the greens....or the pinks? The HDL PS blues, methinks...!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 pm
Wow minniev...that never occurred to me.........so with a white balance adjustment I now see pink shoe, white laces.....I wonder if you now see grey and green? I think the thing is some see one set of colors and some see the other set of colors.....
No, just a pink shoe with white laces, but no longer clouded over with a dusty looking cyan color cast.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Haha.....

Wonder what that means minniev....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

for sure we are impacted by how our monitors are calibrated. But also for sure, we are all wired differently. LOL, monitor calibration is like if your glasses are skewed from watching too much FOX or too much CNN - and our natural wiring likely help dictate whether we are naturally more conservative or liberal in our tendencies.

All of which tells me that PS is a grand liar (like FOX and CNN - or should I say "news"), and that all naturally prefer one type of lie over another. Not the same lie, but a lie never-the-less. And thus we are all vulnerable in Some fashion to being conned and manipulated.

Sorry for my cynical and philosophical digression.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

Experiments on color perception are constantly being performed by a wide variety of sponsors. The most common form centers on perception based on expectation when an image's true color has been altered slightly, as in the original example presented here. The slight color shift put the original color into a imbalanced state between two possible color combinations (pink/gray) based on our expectation of what we are supposed to be seeing. If we come into the image expecting to see a gray shoe, that's what we convince the mind it is. If we come into it expecting to see a pink shoe, then pink it is. Of course monitor quality does play into the initial presentation but also ambient light levels, color cast in the room the viewer is in, eye issues and a host of other problems.

This image is akin to that other famous one that blew up the internet; "is it a gold dress or a blue dress?"
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

I believe it was, thanks for comment....