Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General DiscussionsPhotoCamel is no more?

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

PhotoCamel is no more?

Post by Duck »

For those of you who have been here from our early beginnings (and those that helped establish photoMENTORIS) and know some of the history of why photoMENTORIS was established may find some recent news I found interesting . PhotoCamel.com is out of action. Apparently it's been down for several months and the rumor is that it's no longer operating.

Can't say I'm sorry to see it gone but the sad truth is that there are way too many well established photo forums that are struggling (sound familiar?) and closing up shop. It's hard to speculate what's killing forums. Some say it's the current popularity of doing everything on Facebook while others speculate that YouTube has made a significant contribution to their decline. I even hear that people (probably the younger generation) feel that forums are too slow to get results. I'm sure the real truth is a little of everything and then some.

Anyhow, I'm doing a happy little jig since I was unceremoniously kicked out of there simply because of the friendships I made there. Bastards! All I know is that their action brought about this community and while I'm not as active as I was a year ago (maybe more?) it's still home for me.

Well, I just wanted to share that little bit of news to those who are interested in such. Share your thoughts or feelings in the comments.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Business Website : Unitas Photography
Join me Monday nights at 6:30pm EST via Zoom to Learn Photography with Duck or,
Watch past episodes on YouTube
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev »

Duck wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:14 pm
For those of you who have been here from our early beginnings (and those that helped establish photoMENTORIS) and know some of the history of why photoMENTORIS was established may find some recent news I found interesting . PhotoCamel.com is out of action. Apparently it's been down for several months and the rumor is that it's no longer operating.

Can't say I'm sorry to see it gone but the sad truth is that there are way too many well established photo forums that are struggling (sound familiar?) and closing up shop. It's hard to speculate what's killing forums. Some say it's the current popularity of doing everything on Facebook while others speculate that YouTube has made a significant contribution to their decline. I even hear that people (probably the younger generation) feel that forums are too slow to get results. I'm sure the real truth is a little of everything and then some.

Anyhow, I'm doing a happy little jig since I was unceremoniously kicked out of there simply because of the friendships I made there. Bastards! All I know is that their action brought about this community and while I'm not as active as I was a year ago (maybe more?) it's still home for me.

Well, I just wanted to share that little bit of news to those who are interested in such. Share your thoughts or feelings in the comments.
Too bad we didn’t know in time to invite the survivors to a more pleasant forum.

Though we struggle on, there is something here that doesn’t happen in FB or Instagram. That is conversation. People don’t grow from FB and IG, they just show their photos.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones